The New York Pops Birthday Gala at Carnegie Hall occurs once a year. At this event, New York’s most talented performers gather to put on a breathtaking show with the magnificent New York Pops orchestra! Some notable performers from past years include: Sutton Foster, Jeremy Jordan, Queen Latifah, Kelli O’Hara, Ken Watanabe, Harvey Fierstein, Lea Salonga, Angela Lansbury, Alan Menken, and the Camp Broadway Kids Ensemble! For the past four years I have been a part of the kids ensemble that Camp Broadway trains to perform at Carnegie Hall with Broadway stars! In one weekend, the Camp Broadway Kids Ensemble learns routines that will be performed at the gala, works with Broadway professionals, takes workshops with Broadway actors, and makes friends that will last a lifetime!
This year was the New York Pops 35th Birthday Gala! Every year the Pops honor an inspiring individual at their event, and this year the honoree was Alan Menken! As a member of the Camp Broadway Kids Ensemble, I was able to work alongside Alan Menken and perform his works on the Carnegie Hall stage! Performing at Carnegie Hall was one of the greatest experiences of my life, and I am going to share these three exciting days with all of you!
Day One (Friday April 27):
* Reunited with friends from last year and met some new friends!
* Learned Seize the Day from Newsies and Be our Guest from Beauty and the Beast- the highlight of the day!
* Got my Newsies costume- I loved it!
* Did a fun body warm-up to start off the day!
* Met the New York Pops conductor, Steven Reinke, and rehearsed our songs and dances with him!
* Met Laura Osnes, my idol, and had a Q&A with her! This was definitely a highlight of my day!
Day Three (Show Day!):
* Had a rehearsal on the Carnegie Hall Stage! Corey Cott took a video of us and put it on his instagram story!
* We all got to watch the stars rehearse on the stage- This was probably one of the coolest experiences of my life!
* Met Alan Menken and watched him observe the rehearsal!
* Angela Lansbury smiled at me!!! I was in shock!
* Waited by the stage door with my Camp Broadway friends and got the star’s signatures!
****One of the greatest nights of my life! Thank you Camp Broadway! *****